Cosmetic dentistry often starts with teeth whitening which greatly improves your smile but not only for the reasons you may think. When people have discolored teeth, it’s common for them to brush more forcefully. Doing so can actually damage or remove the tooth enamel, leading to even worse discoloration and potentially serious dental problems.
What Causes Stains on Teeth?
Just like everyone has different hair and skin color, people have different teeth colors as well. Some people naturally have more yellow teeth than others, while others will experience teeth yellowing as they age.
- Tooth enamel will get thinner with time. The thinning enamel will reveal more of the tooth which causes it to yellow over time.
- Both cigarettes and chewing tobacco can play a factor in tooth discoloration.
- Drinks like coffee, tea, dark colas, and red wines linked to tooth discoloration. Berries and pomegranates also have the same effect on teeth.
- Poor oral hygiene, such as inadequate tooth brushing and flossing, can lead to the discoloration and yellowing of teeth.
- Trauma, illness, or diseases that affect tooth enamel development in children, even in the womb, and adults, can lead to tooth discoloration.
Westdale Dental Teeth Whitening Solutions
Opalescence Go™ is a teething whitening product that is ready to go right out of the box! At Westdale Dental we are proud to offer the mint-flavored Opalescence Go™ 10%.
If you are interested in learning more about professional teeth whitening and the Opalescence Go products we use, contact us to set up a consultation at our Cedar Rapids location.