Teeth whitening is usually one of the first cosmetic dental treatments patients are looking for. Teeth whitening greatly improve your smile, but not only for the reasons you may think! When people have discolored teeth, they tend to brush more forcefully which leads to damaging of the teeth enamel and potentially more dental serious dental problems.
What Causes Stains on Teeth?
Just like everyone has different hair and skin color, people have different teeth colors as well. Some people naturally have more yellow teeth than others, while others will experience teeth yellowing as they age. Our natural tooth color can be affected by many everyday factors.
- Aging. As we get older, our tooth enamel will get thinner with time. The thinning enamel will reveal more of the tooth which causes it to yellow over time.
- Smoking. Both cigarettes and chewing tobacco can play a factor in tooth discoloration.
- Food & Drink. Drinks such as coffee, tea, dark colas, and red wines are linked with causing tooth discoloration. Berries and pomegranates also have the same effect on teeth.
- Improper dental hygiene. Poor oral hygiene, such as inadequate tooth brushing and flossing, can lead to the discoloration and yellowing of teeth.
- Tooth Trauma. Trauma, illness, or diseases that affect tooth enamel development in children, even in the womb, and adults, can lead to tooth discoloration. An adult or child who experiences certain diseases or disease treatments, such as chemotherapy and radiation, can have tooth discoloration.
- Medical Treatments. People who are medically treated for high blood pressure, chemotherapy, antihistamines, and antipsychotics may notice their medication causes tooth discoloration.
Benefits of Teeth Whitening
There are many benefits to having your teeth whitened. If you are on the fence about wanting to get your teeth whitened, here are four great benefits to consider!
- Teeth whitening boosts your self-confidence. Whether you are at work, going on a date, or just shopping at the store, a bright smile is something that everyone notices. Studies show that 96% of adults believe their smile makes a person more appealing when trying to attract a romantic partner. Researches have also found that 74% of adults fear that an unattractive smile could hinder the person’s chances for career success.
- Teeth whitening enhances your appearance. Even those who have healthy teeth and a straight smile are not immune to normal teeth discoloration. Teeth whitening can help you keep and enhance your smile by removing the stains that certain foods and drinks can cause.
- Teeth whitening can help decrease the look of wrinkles. If you are someone who is self-conscious about their complexion, whether that is wrinkles, acne, and acne scars, or even frown lines, teeth whitening may be for you! Having a whiter smile will not only make you feel more confident, but people will be more drawn to notice your sparkling, white teeth and that will draw attention away from areas of your complexion you are self-conscious about.
- Teeth whitening does not have to be expensive. Cosmetic dentistry, such as teeth whitening, should not break the bank. At Westdale Dental we offer a very affordable, at-home teeth whitening product that is effective and affordable, Opalescence Go™.
It is important to note that teeth whitening is not permanent. People who expose their teeth to sain-causing food and drinks could see the whitening effects start to fade in as little as a month. If you care for your teeth properly after whitening them, the effects could last up to a year or more!
Opalescence Go™ is a teething whitening product that is ready to go right out of the box! Opalescence Go™ comes in prefilled disposable whitening trays that are professional strength, vacuum packed for freshness, and provides molar to molar coverage to ensure the whitening gel comes in contact with more posterior teeth. The Opalescence whitening trays conform to any smile and do not require impressions or molds.
At Westdale Dental we are proud to offer the mint-flavored Opalescence Go™ 10%. The 10% strength is to be worn 30-60 minutes for 5-10 days. The whitening gel contains potassium nitrate and fluoride. Potassium nitrate has been shown to help reduce sensitivity, reduce cavities, and strengthen enamel.
- Remove the trays from the package.
- Position the tray on your teeth
- Bite Firmly and suck on the tray
- Remove the outer tray
- Suck down again
When you work with Westdale Dental, you can expect honest, sound advice and professional care. If you are interested in learning more about our professional teeth whitening and the Opalescence Go™ products we carry, contact us to set up a consultation at our Cedar Rapids location.